Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Vegan Lent

Today, I have officially decided to give up meat for Lent. I’m not the slightest bit religious, but I figure Lent is as good a time to try giving something up as January 1st is to make a resolution. I don’t eat a lot of meat anyway, so this won’t be as hard as it sounds. I’m always smugly telling people that I could totally be a vegetarian because I don’t eat meat very much and I love vegetables so much you guys and did you know eating a steak has the same carbon footprint as driving a Hummer all day? and then I pat myself on the back for thinking about doing something good for the environment. But then I still end up eating some chicken wings because everyone else is and it would be rude not to, or adding sausage to a soup “for flavor”.

I’m also giving up eggs and all dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, butter). I’m keeping fish, though. This is because I really love fish, fish is really good for you, we should all eat more fish, the environmental impact of eating fish is not nearly as bad as eating meat, etc… I recognize it seems arbitrary, to go vegan except for fish, but I’m doing it anyway. Also, eating fish during Lent is like, a thing.

(I’m not giving up honey, though. Not because I love it too much to bear putting sugar in my tea for a few weeks or anything. I just can’t really accept the notion that it’s non-vegan. I mean, come on. Bees!)

So I intend to blog my meatless-Lent-escapades. (Lentscapades? No. Sorry.) I won’t be eating fish every night, mostly because I am not that organized. There will be a lot of beans and lentils and maybe some tofu. And I have no intention of ever buying some sort of meat imitation food.

No comments: