Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Lyonnais Salad



For Christmas, my family got a Honeybaked Ham. I mentioned to my mom I'd be near one and she Lost. Her. Mind. They are goddamn delicious, but I'm not really big into eating just, like, slabs of meat. So I took a big chunk home with me and am trying to come up with things to do with it.

Salad Lyonnais is supposed to have lardons, little fatty bits of pork. Versions of it that I've had in American French-Bistro restaurants often have something like pancetta. I thought the ham worked well, although it didn't taste very French


I cut the ham in strips, and cooked it to crisp it and render some of the fat. I deglazed the pan with some wine and then added a little more olive oil and some mustard to make a vinaigrette. I tossed that with chopped lettuce, the ham, and topped it with a poached egg.

No comments: