Friday, December 16, 2011

We need to talk about cookies.

I really love making cookies. I am not, generally, super into desserts, and even with cookies it’s more about making them then eating them (I can’t remember the last time I bought a cookie). I think it’s because that’s one of the first things you learn to make, when you’re like 7 or 8. It’s an easy thing for a kid to make themselves because with a minor amount of supervision, you really can’t fuck it up. My brother, who just learned how to make scrambled eggs now that he’s 19, could make beautiful, perfectly chewy and soft chocolate chip cookies when he was 10. (He also made wonderful pancakes…) But the point is, I’ve been involved in cookie making for nearly 20 years (oh my god, really?!) so I feel that I’ve developed some mastery.

In high school I used to give packages of cookies to teachers as Christmas presents… they’re still a good gift for someone where you’re like, should I give this person a present? Cause it’s just food, and they know you didn’t make 4 each of 8 different kinds of cookies just for them so it’s not weird or creepy, not like “Here’s a cake, I made it just for youuuu!!” In my case, it’s more like, “I made 8 different kinds of cookies last weekend. I bought butter in bulk. It’s a sickness, really. Please, take them away; I’m so ashamed.”

A proper cookie platter should have a nice balance of colors, shapes and textures, so, something chocolate, something nutty, something with fruit, something spiced, etc.

Here’s what we’re working with this year:

Gingerbread Cookies
Hazelnut Almond Crescents
Chocolate Spirals
Raspberry Thumbprints
Oatmeal Cookies
Snickerdoodles

It’s a nice selection, if a little uninspired… Oatmeal cookies hardly seem festive, but oh my god I love them. And snickerdoodles are equally unimpressive, but they’re so popular, and embarrassingly easy. I'm failing to take my own advice here- 4 out of 6 cookies are round. This is not ideal but I think it will be ok (I do think it's more important that they all be the same size, kind of like how in regular cooking you want to cut all your veggies to be the same size.)

No comments: